Choose the Best Wood Splitter For Your Needs
You just moved into your new house and it has that wood-burning stove you always wanted and insisted upon having. It’s time to stock the wood pile. Splitting the wood is no easy task, especially if you’re using the conventional method such as the age-old axe. But, who uses an axe these days to split firewood? Gone are the days when splitting logs into firewood was a back-breaking, time-consuming affair.
If you plan to heat your home with firewood, it’s time to ditch the axe and go with the new innovative option-the wood splitter. A wood splitter is an important tool for anyone that burns wood. Choosing the best wood splitter for your needs can be challenging.
Three Types of Wood Splitters
- Manual log splitters are lightweight and easy to store. Some manual log splitters are going to operate with hydraulics while others rely on man power and weights. They make a great tool for the occasional wood burner.
- Electric log splitters are the most popular type of splitter and are adequate for most situations. A major bonus with electric splitters is the fact that they can be used indoors, outdoors, or anywhere there is a standard electrical outlet. Electric splitters require less maintenance than gas splitters.
- Gas Log Splitters are going to be the largest and most powerful. Due to engine exhausts, they cannot be used indoors. They are the most expensive because they are larger and more powerful.
Top-Rated Log Splitters For 2017
Manual / Hydraulic Log Splitters
- Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe Hydraulic Log Splitter
Manually operated hydraulic splitter that is easy to use and suitable for small loads.
- Woodeze 5MH-S Super Firewood Splitter
Uses gravity, not muscle-has 4 in 1 tool setting: axe, splitting axe, splitting hammer, and Wedge.
Electric Log Splitters
- Boss Industrial ES7T20 7-Ton Electric Log Splitter
Built for heavy duty splitting
- WEN 56206 6-Ton Electric Log Splitter
Affordable, compact and portable – suitable for smaller pieces of wood.
- Champion Power Equipment 90720 Gas 7 Ton Compact Portable Log Splitter
Durable, efficient and capable of handling larger sized logs.
- NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical 37-ton Log splitter
Works in both vertical and horizontal positions. Powerful, large cutting capacity.
- Swisher LSRB87528 28-ton Gas Log Splitter
Heavy-duty, well-built, powerful and fast. Ideal for heavy loads.
Choosing a log splitter will depend on your wood burning requirements; whether you have a domestic fireplace, or a wood burning stove. It can depend on the amount or size of the logs you will need, and whether you need to transport wood, like when you are going to a campsite.
Before you make your purchase, do your research and choose the log splitter that will best fit your needs.